How do I apply for a place in your school for my child?

Our admissions are controlled by the Local Authority, London Borough of Sutton.  If you have access to the internet you may wish to visit the website at where you will find comprehensive information regarding Sutton schools' admissions process.

We hold regular tours of our school for groups of interested parents.  The tours are for parents only, not children, as they take place during school time and we do not wish to cause disturbance to classes which are in progress.  The tours include a look at our Nursery, Reception areas and a general walk around the school. There will be an opportunity to ask questions afterwards.  Please telephone the school office if you would like to book a place on one of our tours. Dates and times for our tours can be found under 'Prospective Parents-School Tours'.

Do you have a school uniform?

We expect all children to wear school uniform.  A full list of uniform is detailed on the website.  Uniform can be purchased via our retailers Cladish either online or in store.


What time does school start?

The school gates open at 8:40am and registers are taken at 8:55am.  It is important to develop good habits by arriving punctually every day.  If your child arrives after 9:00am they will need to be signed in via the school office.  This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security.

What happens at the end of the day?

School finishes at 3:15pm.  Children must be collected by a designated person.  Please let us know if someone different is collecting your child.  Older children are permitted, with your agreement, to go home by themselves.

What happens at lunch time?

A school meal is available at a cost of £2.15 a day for children in KS2.  Reception and KS1 children will receive a free lunch under the present government scheme.  Payment should be made via ParentPay.  If your child is eligible for Free School Meals please ensure that you apply even if your child is in KS1.  Information on how to apply can be obtained from the website or school office.  A copy of the menu is also available on the school website.

 School meals are booked half termly and can be booked for the whole week, just on Wednesdays or Fridays or for both Wednesdays and Fridays.  Please advise the office before any school break if your child will be changing their meal arrangements.  Please ensure your account stays in credit.

 Bandon Hill is a NUT FREE school so please do not include any items in your child’s packed lunch that contains nuts.

How can I help my child settle into school?

Bring your child to school on time.  Arriving late can mean that your child misses important information about the lesson.  It can also be embarrassing for your child and is disruptive for the class.

What should I do if my child is not well?

If your child is unwell please call or email the school office to inform us that your child will not be attending school.  If your child has sickness and/or diarrhoea please remember that they should not return to school until 48 hours has elapsed since the last bout of sickness and/or diarrhoea.

Please send a letter in or write a note in the contact book when your child returns to school.

Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

No.  No holiday will be authorised during term time.  Any absence (other than through illness or exceptional circumstances) will be recorded as unauthorised and you may incur a fixed penalty fine.

What else can I do?

Please ensure that you attend parent/teacher consultation days and special events in school.  Notify us on the first day of absence.  Read all the letters that your child brings home and check their contact book.  Support your child with homework, read together and give praise and encouragement. Help out with fundraising (the PSA information is on the website).  Offer to help in classes and on school trips (you will require a DBS safeguarding check, please speak to the school office about this).

When can I talk to the teachers?

Teachers are busy preparing for their classes or on duty first thing in the morning. Messages can be left at the school office. Teachers are more easily available at the end of the day when they have dismissed their class.  They are happy to make appointments to see you if you would like a longer chat. Teachers also meet parents/carers at parent/teacher consultations.

What if my child has special needs?

We can meet a variety of special needs in school.  Please discuss your child’s needs with his/her class teacher and/or the Inclusion Manager.

What if my child can’t speak English?

We have some specialist staff available to help children in their acquisition of English as an additional language.

What should I do if I am worried about my child’s progress?

In the first instance, make an appointment to talk to the class teacher about your concerns.  If you are still anxious please ask to see the Year Group Leader, Phase Manager or Inclusion Manager.

Are children given home learning?

Children are expected to work on their ‘Key Skills’ at home.
This includes:

• Reading (with an adult or independently)

• Spelling

• Instant recall facts (times tables/ number work etc.)

In addition to the key skills, we also have non-statutory home learning onto our Google Classroom pages. This work links to what the children have been learning in school.


We are a cashless school with all trips, school meals, school fund etc being paid via ParentPay.  When your child starts at Bandon Hill you will receive a letter setting out your username and password login details.  The ParentPay website can be found at:

 We also use ParentPay to send much of our correspondence, a paperless system which sends emails to parents who have signed up.  When your child starts at Bandon Hill we request that you use this reliable method of receiving school communications.

School Ping

We send a lot of messages to parents using our School Ping service.  The primary carer is set up to receive all relevant messages.  Please speak to the school office about this service.

What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

Parents can arrange to come into school to administer medication to their own children if necessary or they can nominate a friend or family member to do this on their behalf.   Children with asthma or severe allergies etc keep their medication in the school.  It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure these are in date.

What happens if my child has an accident at school?

Unfortunately sometimes children do have accidents or become unwell whilst they are at school and we need to call you. It can add to your child’s distress if we are unable to contact you.  Please ensure that we have up to date contact telephone numbers for you and tell us straight away if these change.

School Milk

School milk is available for all children.  Children under 5 and children eligible for Free School Meals can apply for free milk.  If you wish your child to have milk you must register with Cool Milk.  Forms are available from the school office.

What is my child not allowed to bring to school?

Children should not bring toys, sweets, valuables or money.  Only Year 6 children can bring mobile phones but these must be switched off at the gates and handed in to their teacher.  Parents must sign and return the mobile phone form if their child is bringing a mobile phone to school.  We cannot be responsible for children’s property.

Can I park on the premises?

No.  There is no parking available for parents and carers.  Please park your car away from the school gates, never park on the yellow zig-zag lines and do not block neighbours' driveways.  The area outside school becomes very congested and is then unsafe for children arriving and leaving school.

Do you have a breakfast/after school club?

Yes we have both a breakfast club which opens at 7.45am and after school club which runs until 5pm.. Please speak to the school office for further information.

Do you have after school activity clubs?

Yes.  Please speak to the school office for further information.

Do you have a school council?

Children are elected to the School Council by their class mates.  The School Council meets regularly to discuss a range of issues.

What if something gets lost?

Please make sure all clothing is clearly marked with your child’s name so that it can be returned if found.  We collect lots of lost property each term.  Lost property is kept by the school office. Unclaimed items are disposed of at the end of each half term.

Can my child wear jewellery in school?

For safety reasons children should not wear any jewellery in school.  However, they may wear a named wrist watch and if your child has pierced ears, small studs may be worn.  These will need to be removed by the child for PE lessons and if your child goes swimming.

Tell me about PE?

Children can wear their PE kits to school on PE Days.  PE kit is a white t-shirt, black shorts and trainers or plimsolls.  In cold weather please remember to include black joggers.

Is drinking water available?

Water is available throughout the school.  Please ensure that your child has a named drinking bottle which they can fill.

Is there any shade in the playground?

There is some shade in the playground.  We recommend that during hot weather your child brings a named sun hat to wear in the playground and a named water bottle which can be filled throughout the day.  We would also suggest the application of 24-hour sunscreen before your child comes to school.

How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

We will use one or all of the following - text, email and/or School Ping  Please ensure you keep your ParentPay account updated with your current email address and the school office updated with your current contact numbers.  You can also check the school website for updates and Open Check on the Local Authority website.

What is the school address and contact information?

Bandon Hill Primary School

Sandy Lane South



SM6 9QU 

Tel:  020 8647 5377

Fax:  020 8647 0034